Friday, October 21, 2011

Scary movies

Why do people go see horror movies?

I know what you’re thinking (Actually, I don’t but just saying so for effect), what a dumb question to ask, right? Yeah… I’m right. I agree, it is not the most poignant question I’ve ever asked. It’s simple; people go to see horror movies to be scared. But since YOU already knew that I’m going to go a little deeper.

What makes us scared at the movies? It’s not Linda Blair spinning her head around that makes us shield our eyes. It’s not the part of John Carpenter’s Halloween where Michael Myers (who we presumed dead) sits up that makes us gasp. It’s not the alien popping out of a dude’s chest in Alien that makes your jaw drop, (Welll… technically it is, but I’m not trying to be technical). What makes all of this stuff scary is purely the fact that we allow ourselves to think (sometimes believe) that what’s happening on screen is REAL. This is called the "willing suspension of disbelief".

The term "willing suspension of disbelief" is a pretty dumb sounding "Hollywood" term (I put that bad boy in quotations because I’m not exactly sure where it originated, but I assumed something this stupid had to come from there), that basically states that the audience member must believe what is happening on screen could or would happen if the scenario presented itself. Allowing ourselves to be put into the shoes of the characters on screen is a key part of being scared at the movies. Imagining how we would feel, identifying with the characters (often sympathizing or even empathizing with them), and almost re-creating the scene we watch in our own heads is really what scares us.

Obviously, any movie goer over the age of 10 (I’m just shooting out a random age here) realizes that what’s happening on screen isn’t real and it most certainly isn’t happening to them. But still, they are willing to believe it from when the lights go out to when the credits roll (possibly even longer on truly scary movies) that the movie is actually happening.

But what happens when the audience member isn’t "willing to suspend their disbelief"? Clearly they won’t be into the movie, right? Why go to the movie in the first place, if you’re not willing to believe what’s happening on screen could/would happen?

*** ASIDE ***

Now, I know that there are some horror movies that play with this and they don’t try and make you suspend anything, they just try to entertain. I have no problem with these types of movies they are fun and entertaining but they don’t scare you. I’m really talking about movies that scare you.

*** END ASIDE ***

Often, there are snobs that claim they only watch "serious" horror movies, you know the ones that could be real and don’t have any stupid monsters, vampires, ghosts, demons or even killer Klowns from outer space. (Hopefully you realized that last part of that sentenced was pure sarcasm, I love all those things, specifically Killer Klowns!) Calling a horror movie "serious" is a bit of a redundancy. In my opinion, any movie that should/will scare me should be taken seriously, at least within the context of the film and movie watching experience. Unless otherwise noted (such as with movies like Planet Terror, Piranhas (3D, 2D, 3DD whatever), Feast, etc…) All horror movies should be taken seriously. People can go to a horror movie, not take it seriously and still have a good time, but they won’t get scared, and that’s what were talking about here people.
At this point (if you’re still reading) you’re probably wondering why I’ve talk about being scared for so long. When the hell am I going to get to my point? Well, here’s my point…


The suspension of disbelief SHOULD ALWAYS BE SUSPENDED!

Yeah, yeah, I know what you’re thinking (twice in one blog, YIKES!) sometimes it’s hard. Sometimes bad acting, or bad CGI, or bad Dialogue can really take you out of a movie. But bare with me people. I’m not talking specific horror movies here; I’m simply talking about horror movies as a whole. Maybe it's naive of me to think that people can just believe in a horror film because they want to, but I've been doing since I was a kid and I've been getting scared ever since.

There are people out there who actively dislike horror movies (I will give you a short list of these people so you can hunt them down after reading this). What’s these people’s deal? Do they not like to be scared? Usually they’ll tell you that horror movies aren’t scary or that they're stupid. Does that mean these people can’t be scared? Of course not, everyone gets scared. Most people just don't want to be scared.

Fake Convo #1

Me – "I just saw this super scary horror movie called The Exorcist, it’s about this little girl who gets possessed by the devil!"

Horror Hater – "The devil isn’t real"

Me – "…"

Fake Convo #2

Me – "Holy shit, I just saw this movie; paranormal activity, pretty scary, man. It’s about a ghost—"

Horror Hater "Ghosts aren’t real."

Me –"…"

Fake convo #3

Me – "Maaaaaan, I just saw the craziest movie. It’s called Halloween!"

Horror Hater – "OMG the people in those movies are always so stupid. It’s so unrealistic."

Me – "That’s not really the point."

Horror Hater – "The people aren’t real."

Me – "…"

Fake convo #4

Me – "Have you ever seen Jaws, that shit is so—"

Horror Hater – "Sharks aren’t real."

Me – "…"

You get the point.

What those fake conversations were trying to get across is that these people are just plain no fun. Who cares if ghosts aren’t real? Who cares if you don’t believe in the devil? Who cares if you don’t believe in sharks?! That shouldn’t stop you from enjoying a good horror movie. Hell, I don’t believe in any of that stuff (especially Sharks) and I still get scared shitless from these movies. I wonder if you hid these people from some really atrocious news headline or current event, and then sprung it on them, would they believe it.

I want to say these skeptics aren’t truly skeptics after all, Sure they may not believe in the boogeyman, but only because they are not willing to believe. What they truly believe is that believing in this stuff will make them vulnerable and that’s just what they are terrified of: being vulnerable.

Because that’s what horror movies do. It lets us experience a form of vulnerability we would normally only get from risking our lives in the same form these movie characters are. We sit down in that theater, chatting it up, laughing, texting, sexting, zexting, (if you’re curious what zexting is, just ask my girlfriend via twitter: @_sarapullen) but as soon as the previews are done and the lights are down, we stiffen up and brace ourselves. And after two hours or so of sitting there, letting ourselves be vulnerable enough in front of a screen to scream, jump, cry or even puke, we are allowed to just get up, leave and forget about it. We’re allowed to experience terror and then immediately go back to our regular lives, there are no consequences to living the watching a horror movie, no serious ones anyway.

So, next time you sit down and watch a scary movie, no matter how farfetched it is, think to yourself, ask yourself a question, and I mean really ask yourself; what if this could happen? Don’t think about whether it’s possible or even probably. Just sit back, relax and let yourself be scared.

Because isn't that why you came to see the damn movie, anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment