Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Review: The Birthday Massacre "Pins and Needles"

1. In The Dark
2. Always
3. Pale
4. Control
5. Shallow Grave
6. Sideways
7. Midnight
8. Pins and Needles
9. Two Hearts
10. Sleepwalking
11. Secret




The Birthday Massacre are a band from my hometown Toronto. I've heard them described as many things from Goth-rock to Post-retro. In my humble opinion, they are a rock band. It's easy, simple, and accurate. Because they fucking rock.

I first heard them opening for KMFDM a long ways back. They were amazing live, I bought two CDs that night and kept abreast of what was going on with them. I've met them a few times. I also helped whom I assume was a megafan put together picture books, and scanned articles for their website (When I worked at a Copy centre.). I spent a long time admirning their music, listening to it when I was down, and indeed, I even at one point looked into what I would have to do to book them (I never ended up following through.).

Pins and Needles Is the follow up to 2007's Walking with Strangers. The Band knows their audience well, and knows themselves even better. Combining the heavy industrial riff with the soft melody of Chibi's voice, and the poppy interlude. Tracks Like In the Dark and Sleepwalking play to the heavy side, while songs like Secret draw on a haunting slowness that can take you to a lonely place.

Like most of their albums, they are padded with slow and fast. I'd be lying if I said I was a fan of the slow, but it breaks the album up nicely and makes it a very awesome listen through.

This album gets a 4/5 from me. I'm biased mind you, but all this stuff is subjective, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment